Heartland Trans* Wellness Group (HTWG) is an organization run by the trans* community, for the trans* community. We believe in addressing trans* oppression and injustice through intersectional work founded in social justice. We strive to raise up the voices of our community that are seldom heard, with particular attention to trans* youth, trans* communities of color, trans* people with (dis)abilities and health concerns, rural trans* people, and trans* people living in poverty. By empowering trans* communities, we aim to meet trans* needs and promote comprehensive, accessible health, wellness, and educational resources.
Heartland Trans* Wellness Group is dedicated to the development of physical, emotional, and social wellness resources for trans* populations and their related communities in the Midwestern United States of America with a focus on services in the Greater Cincinnati Area.
We aim to serve Midwestern people in the greater trans* community. HTWG defines the greater trans* community as all who are impacted by the trans* experience: People within a gender variant spectrum including but not limited to those who identify as trans*, transgender, transsexual, genderqueer, non-binary, fluid, two spirit, gender non-conforming, intersex, polygender, bigender, agender, neutrois, men, women, gender gifted, and/or gender questioning/processing people; partners and significant others; parents, siblings, and family members; and friends of trans people.
HTWG goals and objectives include:
- Create and provide educational resources for trans* and queer education, community building, and wellness
- Foster positive, trans* focused social spaces for community building and support
- Create and promote accessible, non-pathologizing health care resources for Midwest trans* and queer communities
- Develop comprehensive gender identity-focused educational programs for professionals and the public
- Establish trans* and queer community centers and wellness clinics based in affirming, non-pathologizing methodologies
Awards and Grants
- Association of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Issues in Counseling (ALGBTIC) Joe Norton Award Recipient, 2013
- Center for Clinical and Translational Science and Training Community Leaders Institute Recipient, 2013
- Trans Justice Funding Project Recipient 2014